In earlier posts we have discussed allergies. I know nowadays allergies are so common and everyone has first hand experience of them at some time of the life.
Bilastine is a newer antiallergic drug available and it is a newer antihistamine. It has less sedation as a side effect and also causes less other side effects.
|Name of medicine||Bilastine|
|Prescription needed or not||Available on prescriptionUse after consultation with doctor as use for extended period may cause undesired effects|
|Mechanism of action||Antihistaminic|
|Given in form||Tablet, or syrup form|
|Given by route||Orally|
|Indications||Common coldRunning noseItchingUrticariaAllergy|
|Side effects||Decreased alertnessDrowsinessSleepinessDizziness ConfusionRestlessnessFeeling of tirednessThough above side effects were noted they were less intense than other antihistamines|
|Use in pregnancy||Yet safety data in pregnancy is not available|
|Dose||Currently not used under 12 years age ( In some countries approved for use in 6-10 years for urticaria)Above 12 years 10 mg once a day or maximum 20 mg once a day dose|
|Some brand names||Bilanix, Bilasure, Byloza, Bilashine, Bilazest, Bilagra|
Normally we get cold each yearly 4-6 times. For the cold also bilastine is one of the newly available drug on prescription.
Let us today discuss antiallergic medicine Bilastine.
Category of this medicine
Bilastine is a drug used as antiallergic medicine. It is newer generation medicine.
Mechanism of action of bilastine
This medicine is antiallergic medicine. It does so by antihistamine action. Histamine is a main chemical that is abnormally secreted by immunity producing allergic reaction symptoms. It has longer action when given orally. It specially gets accumulated in skin so effective for skin allergies.
How to get this medicine?
This medicine bilastine is a newer drug. It is available on prescription currently in many countries.
You can use this medicine for cold and itching in allergies. It is good to use medicines after consulting your doctor as all people may not tolerate or need this medicine.
Used in incorrect doses and for wrong purposes this medicine may not work or can cause unwanted effects on you.
How is this medicine available?
This medicine is available as tablets of 20 mg or in syrup form..
The needed dose is based on age of person and the severity of the condition.
Route of administration
It is currently available as oral preparation and you can take it as per prescription of your doctor.
What are indications to use bilastine?
This medicine Bilastine is used for following purpose:
- For cold-cough: Being antihistamine medicine cetirizine is very useful for cold and cough. It reduces running, itchy and blocked nose. It also reduces itchy sensation and congestion of eyes.
- Urticaria: This being antiallergic can be used for urticaria and hives. It has longer action so once a daily dosing may suffice.
- Allergy: Like its name suggests it is antiallergic medicine and it can be used to treat allergies. It is used for mild to moderate allergies as a single drug therapy or in combination with other medicines.
Side effects of cetirizine
Bilastine is a newer generation antihistamine and usually side effects are milder than older generation medicines.
In some people it may cause following side effects:
- Drowsiness: You may feel drowsy after taking medicine. It generally causes drowsiness that is lesser than previous old generation medicines.
- Sleepiness: Though less commonly it causes sleepiness and tendency of increased sleep in some people.
- Restlessness: In very few people instead of drowsiness this medicine may cause restlessness.
- Feeling of tiredness: You may feel tired after taking this medicine.
- Dizziness: In some people this medicine may cause dizziness and lightheadedness.
- Gastrointestinal side effects: This medicine in few people can cause nausea and vomiting and diarrhea.
These are few common side effects listed above. There may be few rare side effects apart from these all.
Use in pregnancy
Currently no safety data is available for use in pregnancy for this medicine.
Common brand names
Following are few brands available for medicine bilastine. Being a newer medicine currently few brands only market this medicine
Bilanix, Bilasure, Byloza, Bilashine, Bilazest, Bilagra
As described in above table this medicine can be given in doses as follows:
- Currently not used under 12 years age ( In some countries approved for use in 6-10 years for urticaria)
- Above 12 years 10 mg once a day or maximum 20 mg once a day dose
The dosing may defer as assessed by your doctor. This dosing may not be applicable to all. You should consider consultation with your doctor or meet us in person for further advice.
You need to take following precautions while taking this medicine:
- Tell your doctor about all your illness you are suffering now.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergy.
- Meet your doctor with your previous medical record.
- Do not drive a vehicle after taking this medicine.
- Do not work at a dangerous place after taking this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are on other medicines.
- Tell your doctor if you have any kidney or liver disease, thyroid disease or diabetes and hypertension.
- Keep medicines away from children.
- Do not use expired medicines.
Interactions with other drugs
Do not consume alcohol if you are using this drug. Alcohol with this drug can cause severe central nervous system depression. Tell your doctor if you are using alcohol.
Other drugs causing sleep and other psychiatric medicines may cause interaction with this drug. You should tell your doctor if you are on those drugs.
These are some common drug interactions and there are many more. For detailed advice you should visit your doctor or meet us in person.
- Bilastine: A New Nonsedating Oral H1 Antihistamine for Treatment of Allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis and Urticaria
- Bilastine: A novel antihistamine
- Bilastine in allergic rhinoconjunctivitis and urticaria
- Efficacy of Co-administration of Bilastine and Montelukast in Patients With SARC and Asthma (SKY)