According to the American Physicians Association (APA), one-third of the world’s population suffers from insomnia. For some, the disease is so severe that their lifestyle is disrupted. Today we will learn more about insomnia.
Insomnia is the feeling of not being able to fall asleep or waking up repeatedly or not feeling refreshed after waking up and feeling incomplete.
Some people find it difficult to wake up in the morning because they do not fall asleep early, which can cause insomnia.
There are three types of insomnia.
- Increased sleep latency
- Sleep disturbance with repeated awakenings.
- Not feeling refreshed in the morning after waking up.
Causes of insomnia
Insomnia is a symptom and has many causes. The treatment of insomnia depends on its causes. The cure for insomnia is not just sleeping pills. Insomnia is cured automatically if its cause is removed.
The following are some of the common causes.
- Depression: Depression is a mental illness. In this disease the mind is constantly depressed. The person begins to be alone. There is less mixing and rejoicing with others. It can cause a person to gain or lose weight. More or less appetite. Depression can cause insomnia.
- Anxiety: Anxiety is a mental illness. Anxiety can lead to stressful situations. In this situation man is constantly restless. This can lead to insomnia-like symptoms.
- Thinking about the future while sleeping: Thinking while sleeping can cause insomnia. Thinking about the future while sleeping can lead to sleep problems.
- Watching TV and Mobile: Excessive viewing of TV and mobile can cause insomnia.
- Addiction involves alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, and other drugs. Alcohol, tobacco, and drugs affect your brain. These substances cause changes in the chemicals in the brain. These substances can lead to sleep deprivation, sleep disturbances and insomnia.
- Excessive consumption of tea and coffee: Tea contains tannins and coffee contains caffeine. These are substances that stimulate the brain. These substances cause the brain to become agitated and to interfere with sleep.
- Diabetes mellitus: Diabetes is one of the leading causes of insomnia. If your blood sugar is too high, you may need to urinate frequently. This can interfere with sleep.
- High blood pressure (hypertension): In patients with high blood pressure, it is difficult to fall asleep and complete it.
- Asthma: Patients with asthma are more likely to suffer from cold nights. Difficulty breathing at night can cause insomnia.
- Lack of a quiet place to sleep: If there is constant noise in your sleeping area as well as intense light, it can be difficult to fall asleep. If someone in your household has a habit of snoring loudly, it can interfere with sleep. Also, a crying baby can interfere with sleep.
- Family quarrels.
- Sedentary lifestyle: If you do not have a sedentary lifestyle and body movements, you may suffer from sleep disorders like insomnia.
- Jet lag: If you have recently moved to another country, the day and night time in that country is different from your country, so you do not sleep at bedtime there.
- Shift duty: People who work night shifts as well as people who are constantly on duty have insomnia.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder All of these conditions can lead to discomfort and depression. This condition can lead to insomnia.
- Insects: If you have insects like beetles and mosquitoes in your bed, it can disturb your sleep.
- Back pain and neck ailments: If you have back pain and neck ailments, these ailments can cause insomnia.
- Medications: Medications for some ailments have a side effect of insomnia. If you are on such medications, you may suffer from insomnia.
- Too much physical work leading to body pain may interfere with sleep leading to insomnia.
Symptoms or consequences of insomnia
The symptoms or consequences of insomnia can be as follows.
- Too long to fall asleep. This causes discomfort in the mind.
- Shortly after waking up, constant sleep disturbances.
- Not wanting to get up or wake up after the morning alarm goes off.
- When you wake up in the morning, your body and mind does not feel refreshed and you feel tired.
- Feeling sleepy while working during the day.
- Feeling tired while working during the day.
- Decreased ability to work.
- Decreased performance in school or college due to difficulty in studying among students.
How to prevent insomnia?
Since insomnia has a profound effect on your lifestyle, prevention is one of the best ways to prevent it. The following measures should be taken to prevent insomnia.
Eat less tea, coffee and chocolate.
If you are addicted to alcohol, tobacco and anything else, get rid of it.
Choose a quiet, cool and dark place while sleeping.
Dinner should be done a little early, do not go to bed immediately after the meal.
Avoid spicy meals at night.
Avoid using mobile and TV before going to bed.
Exercise is very important to prevent insomnia. But avoid exercising immediately before going to bed. Exercise time should be preferably after getting up in the morning.
Avoid listening to loud and provocative music before going to bed.
Check the bed for mosquitoes.
Wear loose clothing or night gowns while sleeping.
Drink a glass of warm milk before going to bed if you like.
Take a warm bath before going to bed.
A good book should be read before going to bed.
Do daily meditation and yoga.
If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, it should be treated properly. Follow the proper diet as prescribed by the doctor and take the medicines properly.
If you suffer from asthma or asthma, it should be treated and dieted properly.
How is insomnia treated?
Insomnia is a symptom and its cure is to treat the cause that caused it.
If you are unable to sleep due to health reasons such as asthma, asthma, high blood pressure and diabetes, you need to treat all these diseases.
Also choose a quiet, cool and dark place for sleeping. This is called sleep hygiene.
Your psychiatrist can help you with cognitive behavior therapy.
Some over-the-counter medications can be used to help you fall asleep. Over-the-counter medications are medications that do not require a prescription. Benadryl can be taken in this medicine. But it is better to ask your doctor for this medicine. Overdose can be fatal and addictive.
Other sleeping pills are not available without your doctor’s prescription. If such drugs are used incorrectly, it can cause harm.