Cough and asthma are very common ailments nowadays. In cities and rural areas alike it affects people of all ages. Levosalbutamol is one of the most common treatment given for cough due to allergy and asthma.
|Name of medicine||Levosalbutamol|
|Prescription needed or not||Use after consultation with doctor as use in wrong dosages and for extended period may cause undesired effects|
|Mechanism of action||Short acting 𝜷-2 agonist|
|Given in form||Syrup, drop form, rotacap, respule for nebuliser|
|Given by route||Orally or inhalation by nebulization and rotahaler|
|Indications||Acute attack of asthmaExacerbation of bronchial asthmaExacerbation of COPDHypokalemia (Use by nebulization)Productive cough|
|Side effects||RestlessnessNervousnessAnxietyRapid heart ratePalpitationsHypokalaemiaTremorsThroat irritation\Ankle edema|
|Use in pregnancy||Use only after consulting your doctor.May cause serious side effects if used wrongly.|
|Dose||Required dosages are 2-4 times less than salbutamol doseYou may need dose adjustment depending on indication and severity of symptoms in patients|
|Some brand names||Livolin, Salbair neb, Air levo|
Category of this medicine
Levosalbutamol is a drug used as a bronchodilator medicine. It is an R-isomer of salbutamol. It contains an active form that is the R-isomer of salbutamol.
Mechanism of action of levosalbutamol
This medicine is bronchodilator medicine. It does so by 𝜷-2 agonistic action. 𝜷-2 receptors are located on smooth muscles of the bronchi and intestine and uterus. When these receptors are stimulated they relax the muscles in walls of bronchi. So conditions which lead to narrowing of the airway like asthma are treated with these medicines.
How to get this medicine?
This medicine levosalbutamol is available widely across the world.
You should take this medicine as advised by your doctor because wrong usage may lead to serious consequences or may be ineffective dosages worsening your disease condition.
How is this medicine available?
This medicine is available as oral medicine in the form of syrup or drops.
This medicine is available as inhalation medicine in form of respule containing suspension for nebulization or as a metered dose inhaler.
Given orally levosalbutamol is generally used as combination medicine with ambroxol or/and guaiphenesin.
Route of administration
Levosalbutamol or combination medicines containing levosalbutamol syrup or drop are used as oral syrup.
The MDI and nebulizer is given by inhalation.
What are indications to use Levosalbutamol?
Levosalbutamol is used for following purpose:
- For cold-cough: Cough with bronchospasm and productive cough.
- Acute exacerbation of asthma: Levosalbutamol nebulization or MDI forms important treatment relieving acute symptoms.
- Acute exacerbation of COPD
- Salbutamol or levosalbutamol is given by nebulization to treat hyperkalemia.
Side effects of levosalbutamol
Levosalbutamol used in the proper way is very good medicine. It may cause the following side effects in some patients.
- Restlessness: Some patients may feel restless and sleepless when given this medicine. Most of the patients after relieving asthma symptoms may find it easy to sleep but some patients may feel restless.
- Palpitation: Palpitation is a feeling of rapid heart rate in the chest. Some patients may get symptoms after taking this medicine.
- Tremors: Patients may get tremors that are repetitive shaking of hands and legs while working with this medicine.
- Throat irritation: MDI or nebulization may give you a feeling of irritation in the throat.
- Hypokalaemia: It is a known side effect of the levosalbutamol.
- Rarely some patients may get ankle edema with this medicine.
Use in pregnancy
This medicine is considered safe to use in pregnancy, but in such conditions you should always consult your doctor before using it.
Your doctor will prescribe you this medicine only if it is needed and benefit is more compared to chances of risk.
MDI contains very less dose as compared to oral medicine so it is prefered than oral medicine.
Dose of levosalbutamol
The dose depends on your condition and bodyweight.
The dosing may defer as assessed by your doctor. This dosing may not be applicable to all. You should consider consultation with your doctor or meet us in person for further advice.
Precautions with levosalbutamol
You need to take following precautions while taking this medicine:
- Tell your doctor about all your illness you are suffering now.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergy.
- Meet your doctor with your previous medical record.
- Do not drive smoke while taking this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are on other medicines.
- Tell your doctor if you have any kidney or liver disease, thyroid disease or diabetes and hypertension.
- Keep medicines away from children.
- Do not use expired medicines.
- If you have asthma you should keep your MDI always with you and use it as suggested by your doctor in an emergency situation and see your doctor.
Interactions of levosalbutamol with other drugs
Do not consume smoke if you are using this drug. Smoking may reduce the effect of the drug and worsen the situation and increase the side effects.
Theophylline and some anti-hitaminics like hydroxyzine may cause increased side effects in some patients. In such patients it should be used cautiously.
These are some common drug interactions and there are many more. For detailed advice you should visit your doctor or meet us in person.