Here we are giving information regarding MMR Vaccine. It is MMR Vaccine:Everything you need to know.
Table of Contents
What is MMR Vaccine?
- MMR vaccine is trivalent vaccine.
- Trivalent means containing 3 components.
- It contains components which protect from measles, mumps and rubella.
What type of vaccine is it?
- It is live vaccine.
- Live vaccine means it contains live attenuated viruses of measles, mumps, rubella.
- The same viruses causing disease but with reduced power or no power to cause disease.
How MMR Vaccine is administered?
- It is given by injection subcutaneous or intramuscular.
How does it works?
- As we discussed before these are live viruses.
- After injection they infect the patient.
- They multiply inside the patients body like real viruses.
- They do not have capacity to cause disease.
- So the body learns to fight them without suffering from disease.
- Body also creates memory which remembers how to fight such virus if it really infects.
- Thus the patient is protected after giving vaccine.
At What age MMR Vaccine should be given?
- At 9 month completion first dose is given.
- It is repeated at 15 month age and 4-6 yrs of age.
- In special situations it can be given as early as 6 months of age.
Can MMR vaccine be given with other vaccines?
- Yes it is safe and can be given with other vaccines
What are side effects of MMR Vaccine?
- Most commonly side effects are minor and do not need admission.
- Fever – can be managed by oral medicines at home.
- Local pain and swelling – can be managed with oral medicines and local cold fomentation at home.
- Rash – in some cases measles like rash may be seen in 1 month of giving dose. But general milder condition can be managed at home.
- In extremely rare cases severe life threatening side effect like anaphylaxis can happen.
To whom MMR Vaccine should not be give?
- Those with severely immuno-compromised status like stage 3-4 of HIV AIDS.
- those wn?ith history of severe allergic reaction after previous dose.
What if dose of MMR vaccine was missed?
- It should be taken as earliest as possible.
- Plz contact us for further queries.
Dr Yatin Bhole MBBS DCh DNB
Bhole Children Clinic and vaccination center
Ravet near Punawale Kiwale Akurdi