Quadrovax (DPT+HiB): Quadrivalent vaccine
This is vaccine product of Serum institute of India pvt. This vaccine is widely available. Quadrovax as its name implies quadro means four. This vaccine protects from 4 diseases. It is used for prevention of diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus and Haemophilus influenzae type B disease. This vaccine contains diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, killed whole cell pertussis and purified HiB capsular polysaccharide (PRP). Purified HiB capsular polysaccharide (PRP) is conjugated to tetanus toxoid. Additionally it contains aluminium phosphate salts. So effectively it contains DTwP + HiB vaccines together.
|> 30 IU|
|> 40 IU|
Bacillus pertussis killed whole cell
|> 4 IU|
Purified capsular HiB polysaccharide (PRP) conjugated to Tetanus Toxoid
|Adsorbed on Aluminium Phosphate||< 1.25 mg|
Table of Contents
How this vaccine is stored?
Like other vaccine this vaccine is stored at 2-8 degree Celsius. The temperature should be maintained during all stages of transport and storage to end user. If frozen accidentally it should be discarded.
In which form this vaccine is available?
This vaccine is available in single dose (SD) or multidose vial. It is ready to inject liquid form.
How is Quadrovax vaccine is given?
This vaccine is given by injection. Generally anterolateral aspect of thigh ir preferred for injection. All safe injection guidelines should be followed.
How does Quadrovax vaccine work?
Quadrovax contains antigens of diphtheria, tetanus toxoid and HiB polysaccharide conjugated form and also killed whole cell pertussis. This is killed vaccine. When injected to the person the immunity of the person recognizes the antigens and develops mechanism to fight against them. In this process immunity also develops the memory about how to fight all these antigens. When the real infection occurs based on memory and training immunity received by vaccine, it quickly ramps up the process of fighting against these real infections and the individual is protected from the infection.
At what age this vaccine is given?
As quadrovax contains DTwP and HiB it can be given when patient needs protection from all these. It can be given at age 6, 10, and 14 weeks and a booster at 18 months. But now a days to reduce the number of pricks instead of quadrovax five valent (Pentavac) or hexa valent (Easysix, Hexaxim or Infanrix hexa) vaccine is preferably used. Quadrovax is whole cell pertussis containing vaccine is relatively painful. Some patients may need painless variety Hexaxim or Infanrix hexa instead. At 5 years booster of DPT vaccine is to be given. This vaccine is safe for children below 7 years of age.
Safety with other injections:
Quadrovax can be safely given along with other vaccines like MMR, OPV, BCG Vaccine, and oral Vitamin A dose, measles , IPV and yellow fever vaccine.
What are side effects of Quadrovax quadrivalent vaccine?
- Local injection site pain and swelling: This may lasts for 3 days. In some cases may last for 7 days.
- Fever: After Quadrovax fever may last for 3 days. It may be moderate to high grade. It can be reduced with oral medications like paracetamol. To those who have tendency of febrile convulsion may get febrile convulsion like any other fever.
- Irritability and crying: This may last for few hours after injection.
- Reduced feeding: Feeding may be reduced after injection and may last for 1-2 days.
- Lethargy and sleepiness: Some children may show lethargy and sleepiness after this shot.
- Encephalopathy: Though some reports suggest this side effect the association with doses is rare.
- Anaphylaxis: Like all other vaccine severe life threatening allergic reaction may come and the facility where vaccine is given should be ready to manage the anaphylaxis. Though this side effect is exceedingly rare.
Though side effects are there they are usually manageable at home. Compared to diseases this vaccine provides protection side effects are very mild.
To whom Quadrovax quadrivalent vaccine should not be given?
- If someone is allergic to any of its components.
- If someone had anaphylaxis after previous dose this vaccine should not be given
- If someone got encephalopathy within 7 days of this vaccination. This vaccine should not be given.
- If someone had the disease of brain, encephalopathy that is progressive in nature. This vaccine should not be given. For static encephalopathy like cerebral palsy this vaccine is not a contraindication.
- This vaccine should not be given to individual above age 6 years. Instead Tdap or Td should be used in them.