The DCGI’s expert panel has approved an Emergency Use Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine, for active immunization to prevent COVID-19 in individuals 18 years of age and older in India.
Recently in 2020 the entire world was locked down because of the largest ever pandemic of Covid-19. No other pandemic was so severe in the past to cause such a stringent lockdown affecting the lives of billions of people across the world. In 2021 also we are experiencing the worst and most severe second wave of Covid-19 killing several thousand people daily.
Everyone was waiting for the effective vaccine for the Covid-19 and some companies are successful finding out the solution.
Russia, the evergreen friend of India has provided support in this battle by sending the doses of Sputnik V vaccine.
This Russian vaccine is a two part vaccine. It contains genes of Covid-19 virus producing the spike protein and they carried in adenovirus ad26 and ad5.
How is the Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine vaccine stored?
For storage of this vaccine the guidelines provided by manufacturers are to be followed strictly. Not following the temperature and storage guidelines will damage the vaccine and it will be ineffective.
Manufacturer recommends storage temperature of 2-8 degree celsius. This temperature range should be maintained at all levels from manufacturer to end user. Vaccines should not be frozen accidentally.
Local biomedical waste management protocols are to be followed to discard the vaccine or the disposables so that they do not pollute the environment.
How is the Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine given?
Vaccine will soon be available for Indian anti Covid-19 campaign as third vaccine which got approved for use above age 18 years.
This vaccine is given intramuscular injection 0.5 ml dose. 2 doses are needed 21 days apart apart for a single person.
All safety injection precautions are taken while giving this vaccine.
At what age is the Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine given?
Currently this vaccine is approved for use by DCGI for those above 18 years of age.
Use in children
Currently this vaccine has not been approved for use in children those below 18 years of age.
Use in pregnancy
Currently there is insufficient data to examine this vaccine for safe use in pregnancy. Administration of Sputnik V™ in pregnancy should only be considered when the potential benefits outweigh any potential risks for the mother and fetus.
Currently there is no insufficient data to say whether this vaccine is safe or unsafe in lactating women and their infants.
Current data from clinical studies does not indicate any adverse effect on fertility of the vaccine recipients.
What are side effects after Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine?
Yet the data is scarce about side effects but possible side effects are as listed below:
- Redness and swelling: It may appear at the injection site within a few minutes to few hours of injection. Usually subsides on its own.
- Pain at injection site: This is another side effect after taking this vaccine. Generally mild to moderate grade pain may occur at the injection site.
- Fever: Generally this vaccine in few patients can cause fever. Fever is usually mild to moderate grade. It may subside by its own or may be reduced with oral treatment like paracetamol. Usually they do not need admission for the management can be managed at home.
- Fatigue: In some patients this vaccine may cause fatigue and generally reduces on its own.
- Headache: In some patients it may cause a headache that can be mild to moderate grade. In very few patients it causes a very severe headache.
- Nausea and vomiting is a known side effect of the vaccine.
- Other mild side effects are chills, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Muscle pain and joint pain
- Serious adverse events were reported by very few Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine recipients.
- Like other vaccines this vaccine can cause anaphylactic reaction which may be life threatening but chances of such severe reaction are rare.
How does the Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine work?
Sputnik V vaccine is a two part vaccine. It contains genes of new coronavirus that can produce S protein that is the spike protein.
This gene is carried in relatively harmless adenovirus. Adenoviruses used in this preparation are ad26 and ad5.
It has been found that when 2 types of adenoviruses are used it boosts the immune response after 2 doses of the vaccine.
When this vaccine is injected to the recipient the gene producing S protein enters the cells of the recipients. This gene on entering cells of the recipient produces S that is spike protein like real new coronavirus.
These spike protein molecules are identified by your immune system and the antibodies to fight against it are produced. The large immune response is produced after injecting 2 doses of the vaccine.
When you are exposed to the real ne coronavirus your body which has already equipped with antibodies to fight it wins the battle against coronavirus easily. Thus your protected against Covid-19 disease.
To whom Sputnik V COVID-19 Vaccine should not be given?
If a patient is allergic to any of its components or has got anaphylactic allergic reaction at the time of the first dose.
Special precautions are needed in following groups
Special precaution is needed in following groups:
- As with all injectable vaccines, appropriate medical treatment and supervision should always be readily available in case of an anaphylactic event following the administration of the vaccine.
- As with other vaccines, administration of Sputnik V™ should be postponed in individuals suffering from an acute severe febrile illness. However, the presence of a minor infection, such as cold, and/or low-grade fever should not delay vaccination.
- As with other intramuscular injections, Sputnik V™ should be given with caution to individuals with thrombocytopenia, any coagulation disorder or to persons on anticoagulation therapy, because bleeding or bruising may occur following an intramuscular administration in these individuals.
- It is not known whether individuals with impaired immune responsiveness, including individuals receiving immunosuppressant therapy, will elicit the same response as immunocompetent individuals to the vaccine regimen. Immunocompromised individuals may have relatively weaker immune response to the vaccine regimen.
- No data are available on the use of Sputnik V vaccine in persons that have previously received partial vaccine series with another COVID-19 vaccine.
- The duration of protection has not yet been established.
This is the article about Sputnik V vaccine. This is just for the information purpose. Visit your doctor before its use in practice for yourself or people around you.