VaxiFlu-4: Quadrivalent vaccine for influenza swine flu
About VaxiFlu-4 Vaccine
VaxiFlu-4 vaccine is inactivated influenza vaccine. It is split virion vaccine. It is tetravalent vaccine. It is H1N1 vaccine. It contains 4 types of antigens from influenza virus species. This is vaccine from Zydus Vaxicare.
|A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1) |
pdm09 like virus
(H3N2) like virus
|>7.5 mcg HA|
|>7.5 mcg HA|
|>7.5 mcg HA|
|Propagated in fertilized hen’s |
eggs from healthy chicken
flocks inactivated by Betapropiolactone
This vaccine contains A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09 like virus, A/Kansas/14/2017 like virus, B/Colorado/06/2017 like virus, B/phuket/3073/2013 like virus. These are propagated in fertilized hen’s eggs from healthy chicken flocks and inactivated by betapropiolactone. It also contains Hemagglutinin. Inactive agents in it are buffer solution containing Sodium chloride, Disodium hydrogen phosphate, potassium hydrogen phosphate.
How is VaxiFlu-4 vaccine available?
VaxuFlu-4 vaccine is available in ready to inject formulation as slightly opalascent liquid form. It is available in pre-filled sterile syringe for injection. It is available in dose 0.25 ml and 0.5 ml. It is available in single dose packet.
How is VaxiFlu-4 vaccine stored?
Vaxiflu-4 vaccine is stored at 2-8 degree Celsius as recommended by manufacturer. Temperature range is maintained by the cold chain. The vaccine if accidentally frozen should be discarded and not used. The temperature range is maintained at all stages of storage and transport.
How is VaxiFlu-4 given?
VaxiFlu-4 vaccine is given by injection on anterolateral aspect of thigh in infants and small children. Those for adult and adolescents it can be given on deltoid region of the shoulder. All standard safe injection precautions need to be taken. After use the disposables and needles are to be discarded as per the guidelines for biomedical waste management protocols. The expired vaccine should be discarded as per BMW protocols so that it is not harmful to environment. The dose for those below 3 years is 0.25 ml and those above 3 years is 0.5 ml.
At what age VaxiFlu-4 vaccine is given?
VaxiFlu-4 vaccine is given at age 6 months and second dose at 7 months then one dose is given yearly till 5 years of age. Children with chronic pulmonary diseases and those with increased chances of pulmonary infection this dose should be given yearly. Those adults who are diabetic and hypertensive and immunosuppressed should get this vaccine yearly. This vaccine is used in pregnancy as there is increase risk of wine flu during pregnancy.
How does VaxiFlu-4 vaccine works?
This is killed vaccine. It contains split particles of virus. This is active form of immunization. When this vaccine is injected to an individual the antigens in it get inside the body. These antigens are recognized by the immune system of the individuals. The immune system develops mechanism to fight against the virus and if real infection takes place the immune response is rapidly ramped up and the disease is prevented. Only the drawback is influenza virus mutates rapidly and so because if this the new version of vaccine comes yearly. It is needed to be given yearly.
What are side effects of Vaxiflu-4 vaccine?
Side effects of VaxiFlu-4 vaccine are usually mild and can be managed at home very easily.
- Fever can be there after the vaccination. It can be mild to moderate grade and can be managed at home by paracetamol and sponging. Fever may last for 1-3 days usually reduces with time.
- Local pain and redness swelling can come at injection site. It may last for 1-3 days. It can be easily managed with paracetamol and local cold fomentation.
- Headache can come in some patients after vaccination. Usually reduces in 1-3 days. This headache can be managed at home with paracetamol.
- Muscular pain and fatigue seen after VaxiFlu-4 vaccination may last for the 1-3 days. It generally reduces by its own.
- Allergy and anaphylactic reaction: This is very rare side effect. The vaccine should not be given to those who are allergic to the component/s of the vaccine. The anaphylactic reaction should be managed very swiftly. The skilled person, necessary drugs and equipments should be available for the management.
What are contraindications of this vaccine?
The contraindications of vaccine are very few as listed below:
- Anyone Who is allergic to any of the component of this vaccine should not get this vaccine.
- If you had episode of severe allergic or anaphylaxis at the time of previous dose you should not get this vaccine.
- If you are allergic to egg protein, you can get this vaccine but it should be under monitoring of allergy specialist.
Other brands of flu vaccine
Following are alternatives for VaxiFlu-4 vaccine: