Vitamin A is essential for multiple functions of the body. We get our daily requirement of vitamin A from our diet. Normal functions of Vitamin A are maintaining eye health for visual acuity, ability to see in dim light, immunity, growth, health of bones, and skin. It is essential for normal reproductive health too.
In case of deficiency supplements or treatment with vitamin A is needed.
Name of drug
Vitamin A Capsules (Aquasol A capsules 25000 IU). It is marketed as a bottle containing capsules. It is a product by USV Ltd.
Class of drug
These tablets contain Vitamin A palmitate or retinyl palmitate. It is a vitamin needed for us daily.
Vitamin A Capsules (Aquasol A 25000 IU) Used for
Vitamin A capsules are used to treat various conditions because of vitamin A deficiency.
- It is used to treat night blindness occurring because of vitamin A deficiency.
- It is used to treat conjunctival and corneal ulcers because of vitamin A deficiency.
- It is used to treat malnourished children along with other food supplements.
- It is given to children every 6 months till age 6 years India in appropriate dosages.
- Vitamin A tablets are suggested in cases of measles as measles cases are prone for vitamin A deficiency.
- Vitamin A tablets are used to treat acne and other skin conditions.
- It can be given as food supplements in case of deficiency.
- Vitamin A can be used in treatment of retinitis pigmentosa.
Mechanism of action of Vitamin A Capsules (Aquasol A 25000 IU)
Vitamin A is stored in the body in the form of retinyl palmitate. Whenever needed retinal and retinol are created in the body from retinyl palmitate. Aquasol capsule contain vitamin A as palmitate.
Retinal and retinol are needed for the visual cycle in our retina for light sensitive cells to detect light.
So vitamin A is used for vision and also to maintain the health of cornea and conjunctival epithelium.
It also plays a role in growth of bones, muscles and immunity. Vitamin A is needed for normal reproductive health.
Vitamin A Capsules (Aquasol A 25000 IU) Available as
It is available as a capsule form. It is swallowed with water orally. Not to be given by injection.
Vitamin A Capsules (Aquasol A 25000 IU) Administered as
Vitamin A chewable tablets are chewed like candy. Each tablet is 50000 IU retinyl palmitate, so the required dose is given in the form of chewable tablets.
Please take care while administering this tablet to children as it may cause choking hazard. It may be ruptured and inside a semi solid form given to them. Its taste is bad if ruptured.
Vitamin A given in pregnancy may cause congenital defects in children. It is not suggested to take it in pregnancy. You should consider your doctor’s advice before taking them.
These tablets are safe to use in lactation. It should be taken in appropriate dosages if needed.
It is safe to use in elderly people given in appropriate doses.
Liver failure patients need supplementation of fat soluble vitamins. You should consider your doctor’s opinion for the appropriate dose.
If you have vitamin A deficiency with kidney failure you may need vitamin A supplements. You should consider your doctor’s opinion before using them in kidney failure.
Vitamin A supplements do not cause drowsiness and decreased coordination of movements while driving. You should consider underlying health problems like night blindness or corneal ulcer which may cause problems in vision and driving especially during night or in tunnels.
You should not drink alcohol with supplements as alcoholic drinks may reduce digestion and absorption of supplements.
Side effects of Vitamin A tablets at appropriate doses are minor including gastric upset, nausea and vomiting. Birth defects are considerable side effects if used in pregnancy.
Signs of poisoning Vitamin A Capsules (Aquasol A 25000 IU)
Taking excess doses of Vitamin A chewable tablets may cause hypervitaminosis A that is Vitamin A toxicity. Symptoms of toxicity are caused by increased pressure in skull and liver failure. They are as follows:
- Severe headache.
- Hypertension that increased blood pressure.
- Irregular breathing.
- Rapid or slow heart rate.
- Dry and desquamated skin.
- Double vision or blurred vision.
- Jaundice is yellowish skin.
- Nausea and projectile vomiting.
- Increased irritability or mood swings.
- Inability to sleep.
Currently no antidote is available for treatment of poisoning. Symptomatic treatment is given and over the period as the levels of vitamin A is reduced in the body the symptoms get reduced on their own.
Usual drug dosages of Vitamin A Capsules (Aquasol A 25000 IU)
Drug doses of vitamin A vary depending upon conditions and your age. You should ask your doctor about the correct dose if you need it.
This medicine contains a high dose of Vitamin A so safety should be adequately taken.
- Keep vitamin A capsules away from Children.
- Keep vitamin A capsules away from your dear pets.
- Keep vitamin A capsules in packets given by the manufacturer.
- Do not use capsules kept opened for prolonged time.
- Store at temperatures mentioned on packets.
- Do not use expired medicines.
- Take care while discarding, they may be harmful to stray animals and kids and the environment.