In India and many other parts of the world, bathing is considered a daily ritual. For most of the day it typically starts with the bath. Many patients ask whether they can take a bath if they have typhoid.
So let us today discuss this important question ‘Can I take a bath when I have typhoid?’
Importance of bathing
Bathing is a daily ritual for us and it’s important for the following reasons:
- Bathing washes your skin. Staying in hot climates makes you sweat throughout the day. Additionally there is a lot of dust in the environment that accumulates in the exposed part of the skin. Bathing helps clean accumulated dirt on your skin.
- Bathing kal so helps to remove the layer of the dead skin accumulated on your body.
- Bathing also helps to moisturise your skin as we are staying in a dry, hot, humid environment.
- Bath helps to open after holes on your skin that get blocked with the dirt.
- A bath a day is important to maintain mental health. you may have experienced it is joyful when you bathe with warm lukewarm water.
- Most important part of bathing is to maintain hygiene.
Can I take a bath in Typhoid?
This is the most common question from typhoid patients we get in day to day practice. We want to clarify the following facts regarding that.
- In any illness maintaining hygiene is the key for the fast recovery of the patient.
- Bathing helps to maintain your daily hygiene.
- You should take daily bath at least once even if you are ill with typhoid.
- Even if you are admitted to the hospital you should take a daily bath.
- You should use warm water as it is comfortable for you.
- Do not use extremely hot or extremely cold water for the bath.
- Dry your skin with a towel as early as possible after bathing.
- You should avoid taking a bath if you are too sick to go to the bathroom independently.
- Until you can independently walk to the bathroom comfortably you should take a bath.
- Only those patients who are extremely sick walk to the bathroom should avoid bathing.
- Such patients should be given sponging on the bed itself.
- Please remember only your antibiotic treatment will help you for the recovery from the Typhoid illness. Bathing will only help you to maintain hygiene and fast recovery.
- Bathing is not an alternative for the treatment.
- If you are on intravenous antibiotics and intravenous fluids, you should take care that the IV line is not displaced or damaged while bathing.