In India and many other parts of the world, bathing is considered a daily ritual. For most of the day it typically starts with the bath. Many patients ask whether they can take a bath if they have typhoid.
So let us today discuss this important question ‘Can I take a bath when I have typhoid?’
Importance of bathing
Bathing is a daily ritual for us and it’s important for the following reasons:
- Bathing washes your skin. Staying in hot climates makes you sweat throughout the day. Additionally there is a lot of dust in the environment that accumulates in the exposed part of the skin. Bathing helps clean accumulated dirt on your skin.
- Bathing kal so helps to remove the layer of the dead skin accumulated on your body.
- Bathing also helps to moisturise your skin as we are staying in a dry, hot, humid environment.
- Bath helps to open after holes on your skin that get blocked with the dirt.
- A bath a day is important to maintain mental health. you may have experienced it is joyful when you bathe with warm lukewarm water.
- Most important part of bathing is to maintain hygiene.
Can I take a bath in Typhoid?
This is the most common question from typhoid patients we get in day to day practice. We want to clarify the following facts regarding that.
- In any illness maintaining hygiene is the key for the fast recovery of the patient.
- Bathing helps to maintain your daily hygiene.
- You should take daily bath at least once even if you are ill with typhoid.
- Even if you are admitted to the hospital you should take a daily bath.
- You should use warm water as it is comfortable for you.
- Do not use extremely hot or extremely cold water for the bath.
- Dry your skin with a towel as early as possible after bathing.
- You should avoid taking a bath if you are too sick to go to the bathroom independently.
- Until you can independently walk to the bathroom comfortably you should take a bath.
- Only those patients who are extremely sick walk to the bathroom should avoid bathing.
- Such patients should be given sponging on the bed itself.
- Please remember only your antibiotic treatment will help you for the recovery from the Typhoid illness. Bathing will only help you to maintain hygiene and fast recovery.
- Bathing is not an alternative for the treatment.
- If you are on intravenous antibiotics and intravenous fluids, you should take care that the IV line is not displaced or damaged while bathing.
2 thoughts on “Can I take a bath if I have Typhoid?”
Can we do sponging with hot water or cold water???
If the patient has a fever you can do sponging with water at room temperature. It helps to reduce the body temperature. Avoid sponging if there is shivering while doing that.
Otherwise you can use lukewarm water as comfortable to the patient.