EasySix vaccine is available in injectable form
EasySix (DTwP-HiB-IPV-Hepatitis B) vaccine
Easy six is a vaccine by Panacea Biotec. EasySix is a hexavalent vaccine. As its name indicates this vaccine protects from diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, Haemophilus influenzae type B disease, polio and Hepatitis B. It contains diphtheria and tetanus toxoid, Killed whole cell pertussis, Haemphilus influenza type B polysaccharide conjugated to the tetanus toxoid, inactivated polio virus strains type 1, type 2, type 3 and Hepatitis B surface antigens. It also contains aluminium phosphate as adsorbant. It also contains 2 – phenoxyethanol. All components are present in quantity given above chart.
Killed whole cell Bacillus pertussis
rHepatitis B surface antigen HBsAg
Haemophilus influenzae type B
polysaccharide (PRP) conjugated
Inactivated Salk Poliovirus type 1
Inactivated Salk Poliovirus type 2
Inactivated Salk Poliovirus type 3
Aluminium phosphate gel
|< 1.25 mg|
How is EasySix vaccine available?
EasySix vaccine is available in single dose form. It is fully liquid preparation readily available for injection. EasySix vaccine liquid 0.5 ml is available as pre-filled syringe. Sterile needle for deep intramuscular injection is generally provided with vaccine.
How is EasySix vaccine given?
EasySix vaccine is given by injection on antero-lateral aspect of the thigh. The injection is given by deep intramuscular route. It should not be given subcut or intradermal route. All safety injection precautions should be followed strictly.
How does EasySix Vaccine works?
Easysix is a vaccine and it when injected to person the person produces immunity against the diseases for which it is given. It is an active form immunization. It contains diphtheria and tetanus toxoids, whole cell killed pertussis, poliovirus strains types 1, 2, 3 inactivated form, Conjugated polysaccharide of the Haemophilus influenza type B and HBsAg. When these all injected to the child the immunity of the child recognizes all these as foreign particles and immunity is formed against these. In the process the memory is also created. Memory immunity lasts for the long time. When actual infection occurs the immunity of the child rapidly ramps up the fight against these infection and the disease is prevented.
At what age EasySix vaccine is given?
In routine immunization EasySix vaccine is given at age 6 weeks, 10 weeks and 14 weeks. The booster with DPT IPV and HiB is needed at 18 months followed by a booster of DPT at 5 years of age. This vaccine is safe if used below 7 years of age.
What if someone had missed the dose?
The missed dose is needed to be given after the consultation and discussing the situation with the pediatrician. Till 7 years age this vaccine can be given and then dose of Tdap is needed.
What are benefits of EasySix vaccine?
- EasySix vaccine contains antigens of 6 types of diseases in single shot. So only a single shot is needed instead of 6 different shots.
- The number of pricks is reduced.
- Number of visits for vaccination is reduced.
- It is available in pre-filled syringe form so chances of contamination while preparing are reduced.
- It is reliable and efficient in producing long term immunity if given in suggested schedule.
- It is safe to give with other vaccines like pneumococcal (PCV) vaccine and rotavirus vaccine.
What are side effects of EasySix vaccine?
- Fever is a common side effect after the shot of EasySix vaccine. It can be moderate to high grade fever. Fever usually subsides with oral medications like paracetamol in adequate dosage. It is usually manageable at home and may last for 2-3 days.
- Pain and swelling at injection site is other common side effect. As EasySix vaccine contains killed whole cell pertussis it is more painful compared to Infanrix hexa or Hexaxim or DTaP. The pain and swelling decreases with oral medicine like paracetamol and local cold fomentation. It is usually manageable at home.
- Reduced appetite is also common side effect after vaccination with EasySix and may last for 1-2 days after vaccination. It usually reduces by its own.
- Irritability and crying is also a common side effect after the EasySix vaccination. It may last for 1-3 days and usually reduces by its own.
- In some children drowsiness is the side effect instead of irritability after this vaccination.
- Vomiting may occur in some children after vaccination.
- Diarrhea is a rare side effect in some children.
- Like all other injections anaphylaxis allergic reaction may occur after this vaccination. It is needed to be managed swiftly. All equipment and skilled personnel should be available while giving this EasySix vaccine.
- Though side effects are there they are mild when compared to the individual disease.
To whom EasySix vaccine should not be given?
- If individual has allergy to any of its component this vaccine should not be given.
- If individual had got anaphylaxis in past after EasySix vaccination. This vaccine should not be given.
- If individual had developed encephalopathy within 7 days of giving this vaccine, EasySix should not be given.
- If individual has encephalopathy that is progressive in nature this vaccine should not be given to him/her. Static disease like cerebral palsy is no contraindication for this vaccine.