Since the last one and half years covid pandemic has been going on and because of that there is a lockdown in many places. This single disease has changed the epidemiology of multiple diseases. Show latest see ‘How to prevent monsoon illnesses in 2021?’
Do lockdown is an effective measure to prevent the spread of covid-19, it is not the effective measure to prevent the spread of monsoon illnesses. Most of the monsoon illnesses are spread by drinking contaminated water for mosquitoes.
Common monsoon illnesses in year 2021
So let us first list common illnesses during monsoon:
- Malaria is a common illness in monsoon that is spread by mosquito bites. Its common symptoms are fever associated with chills and rigors, headache and vomiting.
- Dengue is another common illness spread by mosquitoes in monsoon. Its common symptoms are high grade fever with chills and headache and vomiting. There is a feeling of weakness and fatigue. Some patients of dengue may experience skin rash, loose motions and abdominal pain.
- Typhoid fever: This is a common illness because of consumption of contaminated water or food. This is more common in monsoon season as people are more likely to consume contaminated water. Symptoms of high grade fever, headache, abdominal pain, loose motions or constipation.
- Leptospirosis: This monsoon illness occurs when you come in contact with contaminated water. Fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, loose motion, jaundice are some common symptoms.
- Chikungunya is spread by mosquitoes and the symptoms are fever and joint pain.
- Hepatitis A and B are common illnesses causing jaundice in the monsoon because of consumption of contaminated water.
- Cholera he’s also caused by consumption of contaminated water is characterized by vomiting and explosive watery loose motion. It can you cause dehydration and death very quickly
- Gastroenteritis is a common illness during monsoon season.
How to prevent all these illnesses?
This year 2021 monsoon season will be different from other years. This year will be characterized by co-presence of the covid-19 disease along with monsoon illnesses.
So to prevent monsoon illnesses along with covid-19 disease we need to be extra alert and we need to take extra precautions this year.
Following are the precautions we need to take this monsoon:
- Consume fresh hot food preferably prepared at home with hygienic methods.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before consumption of the food and after using the toilet.
- Use mosquito control measures to protect yourself from mosquitoes.
- Use mosquito nets and repellents.
- Don’t allow water to calculate around the house.
- Avoid street food.
- Use boiled water for drinking purposes.
- You can also use chlorine drop to kill the germs and viruses in your drinking water.
- Get vaccinated for typhoid and flu, cholera as per your doctor’s suggestion.
Please keep in mind addition to these monsoon illnesses this year 2021 we should also take covid-19 precautions as follows:
- Maintain social distancing.
- Keep hand sanitizer and use it whenever needed.
- Wear your mask when you are going out.
- Remember wet masks are not effective in preventing the virus spread. Do not use wet masks.
- Do not touch your hands to your face and eyes and nose frequently.
- Avoid going in crowded places.
- Get vaccinated for covid-19 as early as possible.